Sunday, April 8, 2012

Say no to crack.

The riding in the good ol' green mountains has been incredible lately. Trails are dry, it is too cold for the skeeters and flies, and the leaves get caught in between your wheels and frame and make the cool engine sounds. The trails are in such good shape that they are almost too dry, with berms crumbling and people asking for just one day of rain to get the dirt nice and tacky (and also to get a rest day, lots of tired legs)
No matter what happens with the weather, tomorrow is a mandatory rest day for me. Went for a quick 2 hour ride that ended earlier than I had planned. I started from my house, spun the 4 miles to the trailhead, and then began the nice, techy 35 minute climb to the top of a ridge. Once on top of the ridge, the trail follows the spine of the ridge for another 30 minutes to a cliff, then descends down a 15 minute downhill that never fails to put a smile on my face. That was the plan until this happened.








<<<<<








So, on the way up I heard something that sounded like a creaky headset. My headset is old, so I thought nothing of it. I kept hearing it and was getting annoyed, but I made it to the top and got off my bike to take a leak. When I returned, I brushed the mud off of my down tube and felt a slight rise. Not good. The crack was about halfway through the tube, and I luckily found it before the gnarly descent at the end of the trail. I walked the bike down the hill and called Aliza to come and get me. Now I get to call the company and see what we can do about a new single speed frame............

8 comments:

  1. What # frame is that? Soma, moots, niner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is number 3. Soma, then niner, now moots. The only frame material I haven't broken is carbon, but I am not even going to bother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not so much mad power as mad weight. I guess it is time to diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you diet a rock grasshopper?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing I haven't broken is Al.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thinking I might go back to Al. I have never broke an aluminum mtb frame either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL at the engine sounds the leaves make. I think the same thing on EVERY ride. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete